Thursday, December 22, 2011

Santa and Me, c. 1960


I was a ragamuffin, pulling on the thread of my knit cap. This was most likely the Santa at Macy's Herald Square, where we always shopped for clothing and toys. I was probably asking for a Tiny Tears doll and the CandyLand game. I tell you this was a great Santa, he's exactly how I imagined him as a child. You can see I was thrilled--shy, but thrilled! I'm surprised the photo (faded as it is) survived in its folder.

Find more Christmas cheer at Sepia Saturday by clicking the logo below:

9 comments:

  1. You describe this photo perfectly. A little girl going all shy when she meets the great man himself. I hope you got what you wished for that Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I didn't recognize you behind your fan! But I do love your new profile picture. My has this brought back memorie...Candyland and paper chains! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paper chains and paper bells I remember form during WWII. I don't thing I've ever seen candy sticks on trees in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kids on the folder remind me of the ones pictured in my first grade readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful photo. i was always scared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great pic!! You're too darling for words!! Good thing you scanned it now to preserve this.

    Merry Xmas!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  7. He makes me think of the Santa at Santa's Village in the Adirondacks. I don't know if the park is still there, but in the 1950s he was the most amazing Santa.

    Love the folder this is in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Santa looks a very kindly sort - no wonder you're smiling so much, if a wee bit shy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Santa spent some time at the beauty salon getting those curls! Best wishes for 2012

    ReplyDelete