Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Jumbo the Elephant





Jumbomania is a nifty little 8-page fold-out booklet (about 4.5 x 6 inches when folded), with a history of Jumbo's star turn in the U.S., 1882-1885 (courtesy of P.T. Barnum, of course). Jumbo came to a sad end in an accident. (I'm beginning to think perhaps only Jenny Lind survived the Barnum hoopla, but I'd have to look up Tom Thumb's fate and many others to say for sure.) Beautifully illustrated with the "circus paper" that helped build the Jumbo legend: posters, tickets, trade cards, programs, lithographs, drawn from the archives of Ringling Bros. and other collections.  I bought this at the NY Art Book Fair earlier this month.  $10, a great stocking stuffer for the paper collector in your life (and no, I don't know the publisher, distributor or author of this little gem). Order from RAM Publications.

1 comment:

  1. Those are truly beautiful illustrations, though I feel bad for the elephants.

    ReplyDelete