Sunday, July 25, 2010

Lucky Strike ad, 1936

What better way to welcome "Mad Men" back but with a Lucky Strike ad? That slogan, "It's Toasted," was featured in the first season as a turning point for their biggest client in 1960, but in fact the slogan was in use for decades. This box has to have one of the best graphic designs ever produced. Clean and simple.
Of course, it makes me heartsick to think how many people picked up the deadly habit because of an attractive box and a seductive ad. 

4 comments:

  1. I can remember those ads when I was a kid. After the war started, they changed the dark green of the pack to white - and the ad line was "Lucky Strike Green has Gone to War". This was supposedly to help the war effort. I did google the phrase and by golly it was there. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That white package continued into the 60s, when the slogan was LSMFT: Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco. How sad is it that I remember that! And wasn't Lucky Strike also "I'd Rather Fight than Switch"? Or another brand? I'll have to Google to make sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the Mad Men premiere last night and someone mentioned Lucky Strike. I think it was in an ad campaign conversation. You're prescient, Linda. Kwei-lin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't take credit! Lucky Strike has been featured since the first season, one of the most important clients for Don Draper's agency.

    ReplyDelete