Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Gene Maiden garland

I'm a big believer in synchronicity--when things coincide, it's no mere accident, but somehow meant to be, aligned with the stars and alive with meaning.

The latest issue of Cornerstones, published by Deanna Williams has a wonderful tribute to Gene Maiden. And the theme of the issue is "In the Garden."

As it happens, the last card I sent to Gene was in May, from the Jardin des Tuileries, the garden at the heart of Paris, just outside the Louvre. The card was similar to the one above--a figure made of dried petals and flowers.

Coincidence? I think not.

Gene had a way of making us all blossom. It was Gene who asked me to organize last year's convention, his ideas and inspiration that sent me on my way. Others who knew him far better than I share their memories in Cornerstones, and I am so glad they did. There was an enchantment to the man, but more than that.

Norma Lu Meehan said it beautifully: "Gene had an indefatigable heart with which he embraced us all."

1 comment: