Monday, January 5, 2009

A collection of NYC bookmarks

A few bookmarks from my collection. I have patronized these bookstores (all now closed), except the Concord, whose bookmark I found in a used book. The Concord was in the Paramount Building, which was once the site of the famous theatre, and is now a Hard Rock Cafe. The Lackawanna phone number is the old telephone exchanges common in NYC and elsewhere pre-1970s. (I remember my family had a Circle 6 phone number in the 1960s.)

The Edward Gorey cat announcing the Gotham Book Mart is a favorite. The store moved a few times from its 47th Street address in the Diamond district, which was heartbreaking. There was a wonderful sign outside: Wise men fish here. The Gotham finally closed for good in 2007. The papers today say its collection of first editions and other rare books in now at the University of Pennsylvania.

The Womanbooks logo has typography popular in the 1970s. Djuna Books is named after the writer Djuna Barnes. I wish I had spent more time digging at Ruby's, down near City Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment